Cold and flu season has hit and it’s hitting hard. There’s multiple viruses going around right now and if you find yourself the victim of one of them, it can definitely put a damper on your life. Researchers in the UK even believe that Vitamin C won’t do you much good. But there are some tried and true methods that will help fight that nasty winter cold.
1. Prevention. The best offense is a good defense here. Even doctors recommend that simply washing your hands is one of the greatest ways you can protect yourself. Hand sanitizer is good too, but can weaken your immune system. Sometimes, it’s good to get some germs to help you fight them in the future.
2. Water, water, and more water. Water is sort of the miracle cure for everything. If you feel a cold coming on (or have one) drink water until you’re sick of it, then drink more. It can help flush out your system while breaking up congestion. Now’s the time to really drink those 8-10 glasses a day.
3. Acetaminophen is your friend. Though I like natural remedies, there is no denying the power of some medicine. Look for cold medicines with Acetaminophen because it helps with multiple cold symptoms.
4. Feed a cold, starve a fever. Eating right is important when you have a cold and can help your body fight the virus. Discovery Health recommends vegetables, fruits and complex carbs. And staying away from fast food. Chicken soup however, really does work.
5. Get in those ZZZ’s. Sleep is another key element to fighting a cold. Even though it’s sometimes difficult to sleep with a cold, it’s worth it to at least get as much rest as possible. Vick’s gives some good tips, but for me it’s all about hibernating with a box of tissues and some Netflix as company.
So there you have it, five tips for fighting those practically inevitable winter colds. Don’t forget to drink some hot tea, stay warm, and help that immune system of yours. It may not be able to thank you, but it will jump on board to help heal you.
Do you have a tried and true cure? Let us know in the comments!